- Professor Dino Di Carlo wins the 2014 Analytical Chemistry Young Innovator Award. Read more
- Professors Dino Di Carlo and Aydogan Ozcan named in JALA top ten technology breakthroughs of 2012. Read more
- Professor Aydogan Ozcan named one of worlds “Brilliant 10” scientists by Popular Science Magazine for his innovation in microscopic imaging using smartphones. Read more
- Profession Dino Di Carlo receives the 2012 ONR Young Investigator Award. Read more
- Professor Andrea Kasko received the 2011 NIH Director’s New Innovator Award.
- Professor Dino Di Carlo receives NIH Director’s New Innovator Award in 2010. Article from UCLA Today
- Professor Dino Di Carlo awarded the Wallace H. Coulter Foundation Translational Research Award in 2010.
- Professor Warren Grundfest named as one of the 100 Notable People in the Medical Device Industry
- Professor Daniel Kamei received the Early Career Award from Wallace H. Coulter Foundation in 2008
- Professor Daniel Kamei received the HSSEAS Northrop Grumman Teaching Award in 2007
- Professor Daniel Kamei received the 2007 Professor of the Year Award from Engineering Society of the University of California, Los Angeles (ESUC)
- Professor Jacob Schmidt received the NSF Career Award in 2007. Article from UCLA Engineer
- BE Graduate Christopher Nguyen won the NIH F31 Predoctoral Fellowship Award for “clinically translatable cardiac diffusion MR for non-contrast characterization of myocardial fibrosis”
- BE Undergraduate Shannon Wongbivulsin received the 2013-2014 HSSEAS Schoolwide Outstanding Bachelor of Science Award. Read more
- BE Graduate Garrett Mosley received the Best Poster Prize at the SLAS (Society for Laboratory Automation and Screening) 2014 meeting.
- BE Graduate Kristine Mayle was chosen as a Larraine Segil C200 Scholar, which is given to outstanding women students pursuing STEM fields who exemplify leadership potential, entrepreneurial spirit, and a commitment to supporting women.
- BE Undergraduate Jaideep Dudani received Outstanding B.S. Student in Bioengineering award.
- BE Graduate Carl Salazar received Outstanding M.S. Student in Bioengineering award.
- BE Postdoc Henry Tse received Outstanding Ph.D Student in Bioengineering award.
- BE Undergraduates, Jessica Fan, Derek Go, Kayvon Sadeghi, and James Temple received the 2013 Engineering Awards for Student Welfare.
- BE Undergraduate Jaideep Dudani received the 2012-2013 Outstanding Bachelor of Science
- BE Postdoc, Dr. Aram Chung, under Professor Di Carlo, received the 2013 Chancellor’s Award for Postdoctoral Research.
- BE Graduate Student, Kristine Mayle, received 2nd place at the 2013 UCLA Engineering Tech Forum Student Poster Competition.
- BE Undergraduate Students, Jaideep Dudani and Robert Lamm, were awarded 2013 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships.
- Congratulations to our Thirteen BE Undergraduate students who were awarded the 2012 – 2013 HSSEAS Scholarships
- Meera Midha received the Eugene Birnbaum Scholarship Fund
- Christian Seger received the Nancy D. and Aaron S. Cohen Engineering Scholarship
- Sarah Ouadah received the James N. Harger Scholarship in Engineering
- Stephanie Wang received the Alfred C. Ingersoll Scholarship
- Shannon Wongvibulsin received the Jon c. Jones Memorial Scholarship
- Jinglun Yuan received the Kwon Family Undergraduate Scholarship Endowment
- Jonathan Endo received the Brian J. Lewis Endowment
- Alan Nguyen received the William L. Martin Engineering Undergraduate Scholarship
- Jaideep Dudani received the Simon Ramo Endowed Scholarship in Engineering
- Inje Lee received the Stanton & Stockwell Architects Scholarship
- Allison Walters received the Monte and Ruthellen Toole Scholarship in Engineering
- Mit Patel received the Alan L. Wood Scholarship
- Jessica Fan received the George A. Zizicas Memorial Scholarship
- BE Graduate Student, Benjamin Wade, received the 2012 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program award which provides three year of research support.
- BE Graduate Student, Kristine Mayle, received the 2012 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program award which provides three year of research support.
- BME Graduate Student, Ken Lin, won best oral presentation award in Biomaterials/Drug Delivery at the 2012 UC Systemwide Bioengineering Symposium held at UC Berkeley.
- BE Undergraduate Student, Jessica Schlosser, won the best poster award in Biomaterials/Drug Delivery at the UC Systemwide Bioengineering Symposium held at UC Berkeley.
- BE Graduate Student Albert Mach was selected as one of Forbes “30 under 30” in its science and innovation category. The list recognizes “today’s disrupters and tomorrow’s brightest stars.” Mach was recognized for his centrifuge-on-a-chip, which can detect cancer via a blood test. Read more.
- BME Graduate Student Derrek Hibar received the 2011 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program award which provides three year of research support.
- Former BME Graduate Student, Andrew Fung, won the Postdoctoral Scholar Research Integrity Ambassador Award from the National Postdoctoral Association, He will be going on to represent UCLA at the ORI–Quest for Research Excellence Conference as Integrity Ambassadors. The award recognizes exemplary achievement in leadership, scholarship, professional involvement, and university and community service, especially as it relates to involvement with research integrity. We appreciate their dedication to the highest standards of research integrity and look forward to the new ideas and considerations they will bring back to campus.
- BME Graduate Student, Albert Mach, in Professor Dino Di Carlo’s research group, won the CHEMINAS Young Researcher Poster Award for his poster presentation: A.J. Mach, J.H. Kim, S.C. Hur, D. Di Carlo, “Centrifuge-on-a-Chip: Selective Cell Trapping with Rapid Solution Exchange in Microvortices” at the MicroTAS 2010: The 14th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences: http://www.microtas10.org
- BME Graduate Student, Foad Mashayekhi in Professor Daniel Kamei’s research group, takes 3rd place in the TATRC Grand Challenge for his oral presentation entitled “In-Field Detection of Biological Warfare Agents”. Mr. Mashayekhi received special recognition, as well as $10,000 from TATRC to continue his research.
Bioengineering students, Victoria Lim, Ali Syed, Zerka Wadood, Matt Wu won Best Poster Presentation at the it’s 1st Annual Bioengineering Design Symposium held on March 10, 2010. Presentation title: “Engineering a Biodegradable Spring System to Induce Short Bowel Lengthening”
Bioengineering students, Slava Agafonoff, Elyse Brinkmann, Felix Chao and Sophia Yu won Best Oral Presentation at the it’s 1st Annual Bioengineering Design Symposium held on March 10, 2010. Presentation title: “Application of Mechanical Stimuli on Electrospun Scaffolds: Implications for Pelvic Organ Prolapse Surgery”
Dianne Pulido (3rd Yr BE student), won the first place award for excellence in research at the 5th Annual Center for Excellence in Engineering and Diversity (CEED) Research Intensive Series in Engineering for Underrepresented Populations (RISE-UP) undergraduate research competition, August 21, 2009.
Bioengineering students, Edward Pham and Kunal Mehta, received the Dean’s Prize for Outstanding Research Presentation at the 10th Annual Science Poster held on May 21, 2007.