Vice Chair of Research and Professor
Department of Radiological Science
- B.A.., University of Kansas
- M.D., University of Kansas, 1979
- Intern, University of Kansas, School of Medicine, 1979-80
- Residency, Boston University School of Medicine, 1980-82
- Residency, UCLA School of Medicine, 1982-85
- Fellowship, CT Body Scanning, UCLA Radiological Sciences, 1985
- Fellowship, Thoracic Imaging, UCSFRadiology, 1986
Awards and Recognitions
- Certificate of Outstanding Leadership, American College of Radiology Imaging Network, 2006
- Magna Cum Laude Award for Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Contrast Enhancement Maps for Pulmonary Nodule Characterization, 17th European Congress of Radiology, Vienna, Austria 2005
- Certificate of Outstanding Contribution, American College of Radiology Imaging Network, 2001-2
Dr. Denise Aberle is a professor of Radiology and Bioengineering, and was the Section Chief of Thoracic Imaging at UCLA Medical Center. She obtained her MD degree in 1979, and completed residency in internal medicine and diagnostic radiology. She has been with UCLA since 1987, and is currently the Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Radiologcal Sciences.
Dr. Aberle is part of the UCLA Medical Imaging Informatics Group, with research interests focusing on imaging-based clinical trials and medical data visualization. She is currently leading one of the largest prospective lung cancer screen trials in the nation, the NLST (National Lung Screening Trial), a multi-center national endeavor. In addition, she is involved in and co-PIs multiple NIH resarch projects. Dr. Denise Aberle is also the Curriculum Chair for the UCLA Medical Imaging Informatics’ NLM training program.
- Aberle D.R., Abtin F., Brown K. “Computed tomography screening for lung cancer: has it finally arrived? Implications of the national lung screening trial.” J Clin Oncol. 2013 Mar 10; 31(8):1002-8. Epub 2013 Feb 11.
- Sorace, J. Aberle, D.R., Elimam D., Lawvere S., Tawfik O., Wallace W.D. “Integrating pathology and radiology disciplines: an emerging opportunity?” BMC Med. 2012 Sep 5;10:100.
- Kramer B.S., Berg C.D., Aberle D.R., “Lung cancer screening with low-dose helical CT: results from the National Lung Screening Trial (NLST),” J Med Screen. 2011 September;18(3):109-11.
- Marcus P.M., Gareen I.F., Miller A.B., Rosenbaum J., Keating K., Aberle D.R., Berg C.D., “The National Lung Screening Trial’s Endpoint Verification Process: determing the cause of death,” Contemp Clin Trials. 2011 Nov;32(6):835-40. Epub 2011 Jul 18.
- Mao J.T., Roth M.D., Fishbein M.C., Aberle D.R., Zhang Z.F., Rao J.Y., Tashkin D.P., Goodglick L., Holmes E.C., Cameron R.B., Dubinett S.M., Elashoff R., Szabo E., Elashoff D., “Lung cancer chemoprevention with celecoxib in former smokers,” Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011 Jul;4(7):984-94.
- Aberle D.R., Adams A.M., Berg C.D., Black W.C., Clapp J.D., Fagerstrom R.M., Gareen I.F., Gatsonis C., Marcus P.M., Sicks J.D., “Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose comuted tomographic screening,” N Engl J Med. 2011 Aug 4;365(5):395-409. Epub 2011 Jun 29.
- Armato S.G. 3rd, McLennan G., Bidaut L., McNitt-Gray M.F., Meyer C.R., Reeves A.P., Zhao B., Aberle D.R., Henschke C.I., Hoffman E.A., Kazerooni E.A., MacMahon H., Van Beeke E.J., Yankelevitz D., Biancardi A.M., Bland P.H., Brown M.S., Engelmann R.M., Laderach G.E., Max D., Pais R.C., Qing D.P., Roberts R.Y., Smith A.R., Starkey A., Batrah P., Caliguiri P., Faroogi A., Gladish G.W., Jude C.M., Munden R.F., Petkovska I., Quint L.E., Schwatz L.H., Sundaram B., Dodd L.E., Fenimore C., Gur D., Petrick N., Freymann J., Kirby J., Hughes B., Casteele A.V., Gupte S., Sallamm M., Heath M.D., Kuhn M.H., Dharaiya F., Burns R., Fryd D.S., Salganifocc M., Anand V., Shreter U., Vastagh S., Croft B.Y., “The Lung IMage Database Consortium (LIDC) and Image Database Resource Initiative (IDRI): a completed reference database of lung nodules on CT scans,” Med Phys. 2011 Feb;38(2):915-31.
- Duda C., Mahon I., Chen M.H., Snyder B., Barr R., Chiles C., Falk R., Fishman E.K., Gemmel D., Goldin J.G., Brown K., Munden R.F., Vydareny K., Aberle D.R., “Impact and costs of targeted recruitment of minorities tot he National Lung Screening Trial,” Clin Trials. 2011 Apr;8(2):214-23. doi:10.1177/1740774510396742. Epub 2011 Jan 17.
- Aberle D.R., Adams A.M., Berg C.D., Clapp J.D., Clingan K.L., Gareen I.F., Lynch D.A., Marcus P.M., Pinsky P.F., “Baseline characteristics of participants in the randomized national lung screening trial,” J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010 Dec 1;102(23):1771-9. Epub 2010 Nov 22.
- Aberle D.R., Berg C.D., Black W.C., Church T.R., Fagerstrom R.M., Galen B., Gareen I.F., Gatsonis C., Goldin J., Gohagan J.K., Hillman B., Jaffe C., Kramer B.S., Lynch D., Marcus P.M., Schnall M., Sulliven D.C., Sullivan D., Zylak C.J., “The National Lung Screening Trial: overview and study design,” Radiology. 2011 Jan;258(1):243-53. Epub 2010 Nov 2.