Dr. Phillip Koeffler studies the cellular
and molecular biology of cancer focusing on glioblastoma multiforme, breast and
lung cancers and leukemias/lymphomas. He has performed a SNP Chip analysis on
more than 2000 cancers of different varieties and used these data to develop
new diagnostic and prognostic indicators of various cancers, as well as to
identify novel alterations in these cancers. He is doing exon sequencing and
paired – end tagged sequencing of selective leukemia and cancer samples at the
time of diagnosis, remission and relapse in order to define the complete
genomic changes at diagnosis and relapse. In addition, he actively studies the
anti-cancer activity of novel compounds including those from various medicinal
plants, nuclear hormone receptor ligands and fusions of monoclonal antibodies
conjugated to various agents. He is also associating in vitro and in vivo
efficacy of a novel compound with the genomic signature of the cancer.
Additional research within Koeffler’s lab
Studies of an adaptor protein LNK that interacts with
activated tyrosine kinase receptors and inhibits the activity of these
Studies of the dysregulation of circadian rhythm genes in
cancer particularly focusing on PER-1 and PER-2.
Studies of transcription factors particularly their
anti-microbial stimulatory activities in hypoxic conditions.
- Koren-Michowitz M., Sato-Otsubo A., Nalger A., Haferlack T., Ogawa S., Koeffler H.P., “Older patients with normal karyotype acute myeloid leukemia have a higher rate of genomic changes compared to young patients as determined by SNP array analysis,” Leuk Res. 2011 Nov 7. (Epub ahead of print).
- Tong Y. Zhou J., Mizutani J., Fukuoka H., Ren S.G., Gutierrez-Hartmann A., Koeffler H.P., Melmed S., “CEBPD suppresses prolactin expression and prolactinoma cell proliferation,” Mol Endocrinol. 2011 Nov;25(11):1880-91. Epub 2011 Oct 6.
- Okamoto R., Delansorne R., Wakimoto N., Doan N.B., Akagi T., Shen M., Ho Q.H., Said J.W., Koeffler H.P., “Inecalcitol, an analog of 1α,25(OH)(2) D(3) , induces growth arrest of androgen-dependent prostate cancer cells,” Int J Cancer. 2011 Jul 5. (Epub ahead of print)
- Tong Y., Yang W., Koeffler H.P., “Mouse models of colorectal cancer,” Chin J Cancer. 2011 Jul;30(7):450-62.
- Thoennissen N.H., Lasho T., Thoennissen G.B., Ogawa S., Tefferi A., Koeffler H.P., “Novel CUX1 missense mutation in association with 7q- at leukemic transformation of MPN,” Am J Hematol. 2011 Aug;86(8):703-5. Epub 2011 Jun 14.
- Chien W., O’Kelly J., Lu D., Leiter A., Sohn J., Yin D., Karlan B., Vadgama J., Lyons K.M., Koeffler H.P., “Expression of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF/CCN2) in breast cancer cells is associated with increased migration and angiogenesis,” Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1741-7. Epub 2-11 Mar 23.
- Lee D.H., Thoennissen N.H., Goff C., Iwanski G.B., Forscher C., Doan N.B., Said J.W., Koeffler H.P., “Synergistic effect of low-dose cucurbitacin B and low-dose methotrexate for treatment of human osteosarcoma,” Cancer Lett. 2011 Jul 28;306(2):161-70. Epub 2011 Mar 26.
- Koeffler H.P., “Is there a role for differentiating therapy in non-APL AML?” Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2010 Dec;23(4):503-8. Epub 2010 Nov 23.
- Akagi T., Thoennissen N.H., George A., Crooks G., Song J.H., Okamoto R., Nowak D., Gombart A.F., Koeffler H.P., “In vivo deficiency of both C/EBPβ and C/EBPε results in highly defective myeloid differentiation and lack of cytokine response,” PLoS One. 2010 Nov 3;5(11):e154419.
- Iwanski G.B., Lee D.H., En-Gal S., Doan N.B., Castor B., Vogt M., Toh M., Bokemeyer C., Said J.W., Thoennissen N.H., Koeffler H.P., “Cucurbitacin B, a novel in vivo potentiator of gemcitabine with low toxicity in the treatment of pancreatic cancer,” Br J Pharmacol. 2010 Jun;160(4):998-1007.