Awards and Recognitions
- Arthritis Foundation: Top Ten Research Advances of 2003, 2003
- John Charnley Award, The Hip Society, 2000
- Fellow: American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 1999
- Kappa Delta Award: for outstanding orthopaedic research, from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society, 1998
- CeramTec Award: for outstanding research on biomedical ceramics, 1998
- John Charnley Award, The Hip Society, 1994
Professor McKellop’s research areas include: musculoskeletal
biomechanics, stabilization and healing of fractures; improving the durability
of orthopaedic implants; developing and evaluating wear resistant bearing
materials for prosthetic joints (hip, knee and spinal disc replacements),
particularly crosslinked polyethylene and metal-metal bearings; through the
analysis of retrieved implants, evaluating how the design and bearing material
affect the long-term clinical performance; use of computer modeling (finite
element analysis) to evaluate and improve the performance of many types of orthopaedic
implants, particularly the nature of the bone-implant interface.
- Billi F., Benya P., Kavanaugh A., Adams J., Ebramzadeh E., McKellop H., “The john charnley award: an accurate and sensitive method to separate, display, and characterize wear debris: part 1: polyethylene particles,” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Reb;470(2):329-38.
- Billi F., Benya P., Kavanaugh A., Adams J., McKellop H., Ebramzadeh E., “The john charnley award: an accurate and extremely sensitive method to separate, display, and characterize wear debris part 2: metal and ceramic particles,” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Feb;470(2):339-50.
- Blumenfeld T.J., McKellop H.A., Schalzried T.P., Billi F., “Fracture of a cross-linked polyethylene liner: a multifactorial issue,” J Arthroplasty. 2011 Jun;26(4):666.e5-8. Epub 2010 Sep 18.
- Shen F.W., Lu Z., McKellop H.A., “Wear versus thickness and other features of 5-Mrad crosslinked UHMWPE acetabular liners,” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Feb;469(2):395-404.
- McKellop H.A., D’Lima D., Implant Wear Symposium 2007 Engineering Work Group, “How have wear testing and joint simulator studies helped to discriminate among materials and designs?” J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2008;16 Suppl 1:S111-9.
- Lee J.L., Billi F., Sngiorgio S.N., McGarry W., Krueger D.J., Miller P.T., McKellop H., Ebramzadeh E., “Wear of an experimental metal-on-metal artificial disc for the lumbar spine,” Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Mar 15;33(6):597-606.
- Jacobs C.A., Christensen C.P., Greenwald A.S., McKellop H., “Clinical performance of highly cross-linked polyethylenes in total hip arthroplasty,” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Dec;89(12):2779-86. Review. Erratum in: J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Mar;90(3):628.
- McKellop H.A., “The lexicon of polyethylene wear in artificial joints,” Biomaterials. 2007 Dec;28(34):5049-57. Epub 2007 Aug 16.
- Shen F.W., McKellop H., “Surface-gradient cross-linked polyethylene acetabular cups: oxidation resistance and wear against smooth and rough femoral balls,” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005 Jan;(430):80-8.
- Campbell P., Shen F.W., McKellop H., “Biologic and tribologic considerations of alternative bearing surfaces,” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Jan;(418):98-111. Review.