- Ph.D., University of Melbourne
- Postdoctorate, University of Rochester
- Postdoctorate, Georgetown University and the National Eye Institute, 1999-2002
- Postdoctorate, Columbia University, 2002-2006
My interests revolve around vision and visual perception.
Specifically, I have focused on 2 questions: What are the neural mechanisms
underlying the allocation of visual attention and how are moving stimuli
encoded and remembered in the brain. To answer these questions, I work with
animals that are trained to perform simple behavioral tasks. I then use
techniques such as single unit recording, reversible inactivation,
microstimulation and long-term lesion studies. Recently, I have been studying
the responses of neurons in posterior parietal cortex, while the animals
perform under naturalistic viewing conditions. I am also running experiments
that are aimed at understanding how information about visual motion is stored
in short-term memory tasks. Finally, I have a continuing study aimed at
understanding distractions based on a hierarchal model of the attentional
- Wottawa C.R., Cohen J.R., Fan R.E., Bisley J.W., Culjat M.O., Grundfest W.S., Dutson E.P. “The role of tactile feedback in grip force during laparoscopic training tasks.” Surg Endosc. 2013 Apr;27(4):1111-8.
- Mirpour K., Bisley J.W. “Anticipatory remapping of attentional priority across the entire visual field.” J Neurosci. 2012 Nov 14;32(46):16449-57.
- Mirpour K., Bisley J.W. “Dissociating activity in the lateral intraparietal area from value using a visual foraging task.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Jun 19;109(25):10082-8.
- Shariat Torbaghan S., Yazdi D., Mirpour K., Bisley J.W. “Inhibition of return in a visual foraging task in non-human subjects.” Vision Res. 2012 Dec 1;72:2-9.
- Ong W.Z., Bisley J.W., “A lack of anticipatory remapping of retinotopic receptive fields in the middle temporal area,” J Neurosci. 2011 Jul 20;31(29):10432-6.
- Bisley J.W., Mirpour K., Arcizet F., Ong W.S., “The role of the lateral intraparietal area in orienting attention and its implications for visual search,” Eur J Neurosci. 2011 Jun;33(11):1982-90.
- Arcizet F., Mirpour K., Bisley J.W., “A pure salience response in posterior parietal cortex,” Cereb Cortex. 2011 Nov;21(11):2498-506. Epub 2011 Mar 21.
- Wottawa C., Fan R., Bisley J.W., Dutson E.P., Culjat M.O., Grundfest W.S., “Applications of tactile feedback in medicine,” Stud Health Technol Inform. 2011;163:703-9
- Culjat M.O., Son J., Fan R.E., Wottawa C., Bisley J.W., Grundfest W.S., Dutson E.P., “Remote tactile sensing glove-based system,” Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010;2010:1550-4.
- Mirpour K., Ong W.S., Bisley J.W., “Microstimulation of posterior parietal cortex biases the selection of eye movement goals during search,” J Neurophysiol. 2010 Dec;104(6):3021-8. Epub 2010 Sep 22.