- BEE, CCNY, 1961
- MS, University of California, Los Angeles, 1964
- Ph.D, University of California, Los Angeles, 1966
- Dynamic systems biology modeling and simulation
- Human disease models, their dynamics and optimal control (treatment)
- Physiological, pharmacological and toxicological systems applications
Professor DiStefano’s research areas include systems biology, biocybernetics, PK/PD, multicompartmental and other dynamic systems modeling and optimization methodology, expert systems aplications in life sciences research, endocrine system physiology and control, optimal experiment design, thyroid hormone regulation & metabolism in mammals and fishes, and disease (cancer, HCV, diabetes) process dynamics and optimal therapies.
- Meshkat N., Anderson c., DiStefano J.J. 3rd. “Alternative to Ritt’s pseudodivision for finding the input-output equation of multi-output models.” Math Biosci. 2012 Sep;239(1):117.
- Ben-Shachar R., Eisenberg M., Huang S., Distefano J.J., “Simulation of Post-thyroidectomy Treatment Alternatives for T3 or T4 Replacement in Pediatric Thyroid Cancer Patients,” Thyroid. 2011 Dec 2. (Epub ahead of print)
- Meshkat N., Anderson C., Distefano J.J. 3rd, “Finding identifiable parameter combinations in nonlinear ODE models and the rational reparameterization of their input-output equations,” Math Biosci. 2011 Sep;233(1):19-31. Epub 2011 Jul 18.
- Eisenberg M.C., Santini F., Marsili A., Pinchera A., DiStefano J.J. 3rd, “TSH regulation dynamics in central and extreme primary hypothyroidism,” Thyroid. 2010 Nov;20(11):1215-28.
- Nichols J.W., Breen M., Denver R.J., Distefano J.J. 3rd, Edwards J.S., Hoke R.A., Volz D.C., Zhang X., “Predicting chemical impacts on vertebrate endocrine systems,” Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011 Jan;30(1):39-51.
- Meshkat N., Eisenberg M., Distefano J.J. 3rd, “An algorithm for finding globally identifiable parameter combinations of nonlinear ODE models using Gröbner Bases,” Math Biosci. 2009 Dec;222(2):61-72. Epub 2009 Sep 6.
- Eisenberg M., Distefano J.J., “TSH-based protocol, tablet instability, and absorption effects on L-T4 bioequivalence,” Thyroid. 2009 Feb;18(2):103-10.
- Eisenberg M., Samuels M., DiStefano J.J. 3rd, “Extensions, validation, and clinical applications of a feedback control system simulator of the hypothalamo-pituitary-thyroid axis,” Thyroid. 2008 Oct;18(10):1071-85.
- Eisenberg M., Samuels M., DiStefano J.J. 3rd, “L-T4 bioequivalence and hormone replacement studies via feedback control simulations,” Thyroid. 2006 Dec;16(12):1279-92. Erratum in: Thyroid. 2007 Apr;17(4):378.
- Ferl G.Z., Kenanova V., Wu A.M., DiStefano J.J. 3rd, “A two-tiered physiologically based model for dually labeled single-chain Fv-Fc antibody fragments,” Mol Cancer Ther. 2006 Jun;5(6):1550-8.