- B.S., California Institute of Technology, 1987
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1994
- Postdoctoral Research with Professor W.H. de Jeu, FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics, Amsterdam, 1994-1996
- Postdoctoral Research with Professor C.R. Safinya, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1997 - 2000
- Director, Center for Early Bacterial Biofilm Studies, Human Frontiers Science Program, 2013
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2012
- Racheff Faculty Scholar Award, 2008
- Xerox Foundation Award for Senior Faculty Research, 2008
- Prostate Cancer Foundation Competitive Award, 2007
- Selection to the Frontiers of Engineering Symposium sponsored by the National Academy of Engineering, 2006
- Xerox Foundation Award for Junior Faculty Research, 2005
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellowship, 2004
- Burnett Teaching Award, 2003
- Beckman Young Investigator Award, 2001
We are interested in multi-disciplinary approach to solving problems in biology and biomedicine., combining physics, chemistry, biology, as well as engineering. The group is inherently interdisciplinary; our collaborations include physicists, chemists, material scientists, biologists, medical doctors, as well as bioengineers.
AREAS OF RESEARCH
Immunity and antibiotics
Bacterial communities and biofilms
- Innate immunity and antimicrobial peptides
- Antibiotic-resistant pathogens and antibiotic design
- Transporter sequences and cell penetrating peptides for drug delivery
- Budding and scission peptides in viruses
- Autoimmune diseases (Ex: lupus, psoriasis)
- Bacterial communities (Ex: cdiGMP signaling, motility, social organization in biofims)
- Image processing, machine learning, application of 'big data' methods
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Protein-lipid interactions and membrane curvature generation (Ex: Apoptosis proteins and cancer therapeutics)
- Synchrotron x-ray methods
- Physical chemistry of solvation (Ex: femtosecond hydration dynamics of ions and surfaces)
- Soft condensed matter physics of self-assembly (Ex: polymers, polyelectrolytes, membranes, liquid crystals, colloids, nanoparticles)
Selected Recent Papers (since 2010)
- N.W. Schmidt, A. Mishra, J. Wang, W.F. DeGrado, G.C.L. Wong, "Influenza virus A M2 protein generates negative Gaussian membrane curvature necessary for budding and scission", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 135, 13710-13719, 2013.
- K. Zhao, B.S. Tseng, B. Beckerman, F. Jin, M.L., Gibiansky, J.J. Harrison, E. Luijten, M.R. Parsek, and G.C.L. Wong, "Psl trails guide exploration and microcolony formation in early P. aeruginosa biofilms", Nature 497, 388-392, 2013.
- M.L. Gibiansky, W. Hu, K. Dahmen, W. Shi, and G.C.L. Wong, "Earthquake-like dynamics in Myxococcus xanthus social motility", Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 110, 2330-2335, 2013.
- N.W. Schmidt, M. Lis, K. Zhao, G.H. Lai, A. Alexandrova, G.N. Tew, G.C.L. Wong, "Arginine molecular basis for nanoscopic membrane curvature generation from quantum mechanical models and synthetic transporter sequences", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 134, 19207-19216, 2012.
- R.H. Coridan and G.C.L. Wong, "Molecular solvation dynamics from inelastic X-ray scattering experiments", Advance Chemical Physics (invited article), 149: 183-187, 2012.
- A. Mishra, G.H. Lai, N.W. Schmidt, V.Z. Sun, A.R. Rodriguez, R. Tong, L. Tang, J. Cheng, T.J. Deming, D.T. Kamei, and G.C. Wong, Translocation of HIV TAT peptide analogues iinduced by multiplexed membrane and cytoskeletal interactions, "Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA, October 11, 2011, 108(41), 16883-16888, Epub 2011, Oct 3.
- M. Zasloff, A.P. Adams, B. Beckerman, A. Campbell, Z. Han, E. Luijten, I. Meza, J. Julander, A. Michra, W. Qu, J.M. Tyalor, S.C. Weaver, and G.C. Wong, "Squalamine as a broad-spectrum systemic antiviral agent with therapeutic potential, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2011 Sep 20; 108(38): 15979-83. Epub 2011 Sep 19.
- F. Jin, J.C. Conrad, M.L. Gibiansky, and G.C. Wong, "Bacteria use type-IV pili to slingshot on surfaces," Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011 Aug 2: 108(31):12617-12622. Epub 2011 Jul 18.
- N.W. Schmidt, A. Mishra, G.H. Lai, M. Davis, L.K. Sanders, D. Tran, A. Garcia, K.P. Tai, P.B. McCray, A.J. Ouellette, M.E. Selsted, and G.C. Wong, "Criterion for amino acid composition of defensins and antimicrobial peptides based on geometry of membrane destabilization", J. Am Chem Soc. 2011 May 4:133(17):6720-6727. Epub 2011 Apr 7.
- K.M. Colvin, V.D. Gordon, K. Murakami, B.R. Borlee, D.J. Wozniak, G.C. Wong, and M.R. Parsek, "The pel polysaccharide can serve a structure and protective role in the biofilm matrix of Pseudomonas aeurginosa," PLoS Pathogens 2011 Jan 27;7(1):e1001264.
- G.C.L. Wong and G. O'Toole, eds., "Integrating biofilm research across disciplines", MRS Bulletin, 36, 339-391 (2011); special MRS Bulletin issue devoted to bacterial biofims.
- M.L. Gibiansky, J.C. Conrad, F. Jin, V.D. Gordon, D.A. Motto, M.A. Mathewson, W.G. Stopka, D.C. Zelasko, J.D. Shrout, and G.C. Wong, "Bacteria use type IV pili to walk upright and detach from surfaces," Science 2010 Oct 8:330(6001):197.
- Bioengr C104 / C204: Physical chemistry of Biomacromolecules (Fall Quarter)
- Bioengr C139A / C239A: Biomolecular Materials Science I (Winter Quarter)
- Bioengr C139B / C239B: Biomolecular Materials Science II (Spring Quarter)