Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Vice Provost for Graduate EducationDean of the Graduate Division
Murphy Hall 1237
| Garrell Research Group
- B.S., Biochemistry with Honors and Distinction, Cornell University, 1978
- M.S., Macromolecular Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, 1979
- Ph.D., Macromolecular Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, 1984
Awards and Recognitions
- UCLA Gold Shield Faculty Prize, 2009
- Fellow, Society for Applied Spectroscopy, 2009
- American Microchemical Society Benedetti-Pichler Award, 2007
- Masscal Pioneering Nanotechnology Competition Gold Medal Award, 2007
- UCLA Distinguished Teaching Award, 2003
- Fundamentals of droplet microfluidics
- Applications of droplet microfluidics (proteomics sample preparation for mass spectroscopy, cell diagnostics and tissue culture, synthesis of millimeter-scale polymer particles)
- Synthesis and applications of heterogeneous catalysts based on superparamagnetic nanoparticles
- Aijian A.P., Chatterjee D., Garrell R.L. “Fluorinated liquid-enabled protein handling and surfactant-aided crystallization for fully in situ digital microfluidic MALDI-MS analysis.” Lab Chip. 2012 Jul 21;12(14):2552-9.
- Tucker-Schwartz A.K., Farrell R.A., Garrell R.L. “Thiol-ene click reaction as a general route to functional trialkoxysilanes for surface coating applications.” J Am Chem Soc. 2011 Jul 27;133(29):11026-9.
- Tucker-Schwartz A.K., Bei Z., Garrell R.L., Jones T.B. “Polymerization of electric field-centered double emulsion droplets to create polyacrylate shells.” Langmuir. 2010 Dec 21;26(24):18606-11.
- Nelson W.C., Peng I., Lee G.A., Loo J.A., Garrell R.L., Kim C.J. “Incubated protein reduction and digestion on an electro-wetting-on-dielectric digital microfluidic chip for MALDI-MS.” Anal Chem. 2010 Dec 1;82(23):9932-7.
- Tucker-Schwartz A.K., Garrell R.L. “Simple preparation and application of TEMPO-coated Fe(3)O(4) superparamagnetic nanoparticles for selective oxidation of alcohols.” Chemistry. 2010 Nov 8;16(42):12718-26.
- Chatterjee D., Ytterberg A.J., Son S.U., Loo J.A., Garrell R.L. “Integration of protein processing steps on a droplet microfluidics platform for MALDI-MS analysis.” Anal Chem. 2010 Mar 1;82(5):2095-101.
- Son S.J., Garrell R.L. “Transport of live yeast and zebrafish embryo on a droplet digital microfluidic platform.” Lab Chip. 2009 Aug 21;9(16):2398-401.
- Chatterjee D., Shepherd H., Garrell R.L. “Electromechanical model for actuating liquids in a two-plate droplet microfluidic device.” Lab Chip. 2009 May 7;9(9):1219-29.
- Moon H., Wheeler A.R., Garrell R.L., Loo J.A., Kim C.J. “An integrated digital microfluidic chip for multiplexed proteomic sample preparation and analysis by MALDI-MS.” Lab Chip. 2006 Sep;6(9):1213-9.
- Chatterjee D., Hetayothin B., Wheeler A.R., King D.J., Garrell R.L. “Droplet-based microfluidics with nonaqueous solvents and solutions.” Lab Chip. 2006 Feb;6(2):199-206.