The Segura laboratory research focuses on nucleic acid delivery strategies for tissue regeneration and adult stem cell differentiation applications. Non-viral gene delivery, which can be used to deliver any gene in the genome, is a safe, yet robust way to induce up-regulation of desired angiogenic signals; however, inefficient gene transfer has hindered the wide applicability of this approach. The Segura laboratory investigates novel approaches for gene delivery, which exploit the tissue-engineering matrix as a key player in the process of gene transfer. They use the principles of engineering, chemistry, and life sciences to develop biomaterials that can be used simultaneously as scaffolds to guide tissue regeneration, stem cell differentiation and guide efficient and controlled gene transfer.
- Zhang J., Tokatlian T., Zhong J., Ng Q.K., Patterson M., Lowry W.E., Carmichael S.T., Segura T., “Physically associated synthetic hydrogels with long-term covalent stabilization for cell culture and stem cell transplantation,” Adv Mater. 2011 Nov 16;23(43):5098-103. Epub 2011 Oct 14.
- Anderson S.M., Shergill B., Barry Z.T., Manousiouthakis E., Chen T.T., Botvinick E., Platt M.O., Iruela-Arispe M.L., Segura T., “VEGF internalization is not required for VEGFR-2 phosphorylation in bioengineered surfaces with covalently linked VEGF,” Integry Biol (Camb). 2011 Sep;3(9):887-96. Epub 2011 Aug 8.
- Gojgini S., Tokatlian T., Segura T., “Utilizing cell-matrix interactions to modulate gene transfer to stem cells inside hyaluronic acid hydrogels,” Mol Pharm. 2011 Oct 3;8(5):1582-91. Epub 2011 Aug 24.
- Anderson S.M., Siegman S.N., Segura T., “The effect of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) presentation within fibrin matrices on endothelial cell branching,” Biomaterials. 2011 oct;32(30):7432-43. Epub 2011 Jul 23.
- Ng Q.K., Su H., Armijo A.L., Czernin J., Radu C.G., Segura T., “Clustered Arg-Gly-Asp peptides enhances tumor targeting of nonviral vectors,” ChemMedChem. 2011 Apr 4;6(4):623-7. Epub 2011 Jan 24.
- Zhang J., Lei Y., Dhaliwal A., Ng Q.L., Du J., Yan M., Lu Y., Segura T., “Protein-polymer nanoparticles for nonviral gene delivery,” Biomacromolecules. 2011 Apr 11;12(4):1006-14. Epub 2011 Feb 16.
- Lei Y., Rahim M., Ng Q., Segura T., “Hyaluronic acid and fibrin hydrogels with concentrated DNA/PEI polyplexes for local gene delivery,” J Control Release. 2011 Aug 1-;153(3):255-61. Epub 2011 Feb 2.
- Lei Y., Gojgini S., Lam J., Segura T., “The spreading, migration and proliferation of mouse mesenchymal stem cells cultured inside hyaluronic acid hydrogels,” Biomaterials. 2011 Jan;32(1):39-47. Epub 2010 Oct 12.
- Lei Y., Huang S., Sharif-Kashani P., Chen Y., Kavehpour P., Segura T., “Incorporation of active DNA/cationic polymer polyplexes into hydrogel scaffolds,” Biomaterials. 2010 Dec;31(34):9106-16. Epub 2010 Sep 6.
- Du J., Yu C., Pan D., Li J., Chen W., Yan M., Segura T., Lu Y., “Quantum-dot-decorated robust transductable bioluminescent nanocapsules,” J am Chem Soc. 2010 Sep 22;132(37):12780-1.