- BS (Physics with High Honors, Electrical Engineering), University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- MA, Princeton University, 1991
- PhD, Princeton University, 1995
Awards and Positions
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2008
- Gallery of Fluid Motion Award (American Institute of Physics and APS DFD), 2007
- Intel New Faculty Award, Intel Corporation, 2006
- Glenn T. Seaborg Award (Beta Gamma Chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma), 2006
- Gallery of Fluid Motion Award (American Institute of Physics and APS DFD), 2006
- NSF CAREER Award, 2005
- John McTague Career Development Chair (UCLA Dept. of Chemistry & Biochem.), 2003
- Exxon Graduate Research Fellow, 1992
- NSF Graduate Research Fellow, 1989
- Joseph Henry Prize in Physics, Princeton University, 1989
- Summa cum Laude in Physics and Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- Maryland Dstinguished Scholar, 1985
- Chancellor’s Scholar, University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
- Microrheology: measuring the dynamic mechanical shear
properties of viscoelastic soft materials over an extraordinarily large
range of time scales by optically observing the diffusive motion of
micron-sized probe particles embedded in these materials
- Shear-induced structures in complex fluids: emulsification,
- Neutron and light scattering from nanomaterials:
asphaltenes, clays, droplets, polymers
- Directed assembly of nanoparticles in solution using
shape-dependent attractive interactions
- Free boundary flows in microfluidic devices
- Structure and dynamics of soft complex fluids
- Zhu X., Fryd M.M., Huang J.R., Mason T.G., “Optically probing nanoemulsion compositions,” Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2012 Jan 16. (Epub ahead of print)
- Mayoral K., Kennair T.P., Zhu X., Milazzo J., Ngo K., Fryd M.M., Mason T.G., “Rotational Fourier tracking of diffusing polygons,” Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2011 Nov;84(5-1):051405. Epub 2011 Nov 16.
- Datta S.S., Gerrard D.D., Rhodes T.S., Mason T.G., Weitz D.A., “Rheology of attractive emulsions,” Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phsy. 2011 Oct;84(4-1):041404. Epub 2011 Oct 25.
- Zhao K., Mason T.G., “Frustrated rotator crystals and glasses of Brownian pentagons,” Phys Rev lett. 2009 Nov 14;104(20):208302. Epub 2009 Nov 10.
- Zhao K., Mason T.G., “Suppressing and enhancing depletion attractions between surfaces roughened by asperities,” Phys Rev Lett. 2008 Oct 3;101(14):148301. Epub 2008 Sep 29.
- Hanson J.A., Chang C.B., Graves S.M., Li Z., Mason T.G., Deming T.J., “Nanoscale double emulsions stabilized by single-component block copolypeptidesm,” Nature. 2008 Sep 4;455(7209):85-8.
- Wilking J.N., Mason T.G., “Optically driven nonlinear microrheology of gelatin,” Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2008 May;77*5 Pt 2):055101. Epub 2008 May 6.
- Zhao K., Mason T.G., “Directing colloidal self-assembly through roughness-controlled depletion attractions,” Phys Rev Lett. 2007 Dec 31;9((26):268301. Epub 2007 Dec 28.
- Cubaud T., Mason T.G., “Swirling of viscous fluid threads in microchannel,” Phys Rev Lett. 2007 Jun 29;98(26):264501. Epub 2007 28.
- Wilking J.N., Mason T.G., “Irreversible shear-induced vitrification of droplets into elastic nanoemulsions by extreme rupturing,” Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2007 Apr;75(4 Pt 1):041407. Epub 2007 Apr 23.