Undergraduate Degree Requirements

    Information taken from UCLA General Catalog

    Henry Samueli School of Engineering and
    Applied Science students must meet three types of
    for the Bachelor of Science degree:

    1. University

    2. School requirements

    3. Department

    University Requirements

    The University of California has two
    requirements that undergraduate students must satisfy in order to graduate: (1)
    Entry-Level Writing or English as a Second Language and (2) American History and
    Institutions. See Degree Requirements in the Undergraduate Study section for

    School Requirements

    The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and
    Applied Science has seven requirements that must be satisfied for the award of
    the degree: unit, scholarship, academic residence, writing, technical breadth,
    ethics, and general education.

    Unit Requirement

    The minimum units allowed for HSSEAS
    students is between 185 and 190, depending on the program. The maximum allowed
    is 213 units.

    After 213 quarter units, enrollment may not
    normally be continued in the school without special permission from the
    associate dean. This regulation does not apply to Departmental

    Scholarship Requirement

    Students must earn at least a C (2.0)
    grade-point average in all courses taken at any UC campus. In addition, at least
    a 2.0 grade-point average must be achieved in total upper division required
    courses and total upper division engineering courses. See a counselor in 6426
    Boelter Hall for details.

    Academic Residence

    Of the last 48 units completed for the B.S.
    degree, 36 must be earned in residence in HSSEAS on this campus. No more than 16
    of the 36 units may be completed in Summer Sessions at UCLA.

    Writing Requirement

    Students must complete the University’s
    Entry-Level Writing or English as a Second Language (ESL) requirement prior to
    completing the school writing requirement.

    Students admitted to the school are
    required to complete a two-term writing requirement—Writing I and engineering
    writing. Both courses must be taken for letter grades, and students must receive
    grades of C or better (C– grades are not acceptable).

    Writing I. The
    Writing I requirement must be satisfied by completing English Composition 3 or
    3H with a grade of C or better (C– or a Passed grade is not acceptable) by the
    end of the second year of enrollment.

    The Writing I requirement may also be
    satisfied by scoring 4 or 5 on one of the College Board Advanced Placement Tests
    in English or a combination of a score of 720 or higher on the SAT Reasoning
    Test Writing Section and superior performance on the English Composition 3
    Proficiency Examination.

    Students whose native language is not
    English may satisfy the Writing I requirement by completing English as a Second
    Language 36 with a grade of C or better (C– or a Passed grade is not
    acceptable). Admission into the course is determined by completion of English as
    a Second Language 35 with a passing grade or proficiency demonstrated on the
    English as a Second Language Placement Examination (ESLPE).

    The engineering writing requirement is satisfied by selecting
    one approved engineering writing (EW) course from the HSSEAS writing course list
    or by selecting one approved Writing II (W) course. The course must be completed
    with a grade of C or better (C– or a Passed grade is not acceptable). Writing
    courses are listed in the Schedule of Classes at

    Writing courses also approved for general
    education credit may be applied toward the relevant general education
    foundational area.

    Technical Breadth

    The technical breadth requirement consists
    of a set of three courses providing sufficient breadth outside the student’s
    core program. A list of HSSEAS Faculty Executive Committee-approved technical
    breadth requirement courses is available in the Office of Academic and Student
    Affairs, and deviations from that list are subject to approval by the associate
    dean for Academic and Student Affairs. None of the technical breadth requirement
    courses selected by students can be used to satisfy other major course

    Ethics Requirement

    The ethics and professionalism requirement
    is satisfied by completing one course from Engineering 183EW or 185EW with a
    grade of C or better (C– or a Passed grade is not acceptable). The course may be
    applied toward the engineering writing requirement.

    General Education Requirements

    General education (GE) is more than a
    checklist of required courses. It is a program of study that (1) reveals to
    students the ways that research scholars in the arts, humanities, social
    sciences, and natural sciences create and evaluate new knowledge, (2) introduces
    students to the important ideas and themes of human cultures, (3) fosters
    appreciation for the many perspectives and the diverse voices that may be heard
    in a democratic society, and (4) develops the intellectual skills that give
    students the dexterity they need to function in a rapidly changing world.

    This entails the ability to make critical
    and logical assessments of information, both traditional and digital; deliver
    reasoned and persuasive arguments; and identify, acquire, and use the knowledge
    necessary to solve problems.

    Students may take one GE course per term on
    a Passed/Not Passed basis if they are in good academic standing and are enrolled
    in at least three and one-half courses (14 units) for the term. For details on
    P/NP grading, see Grading in the Academic Policies section or consult the Office
    of Academic and Student Affairs.

    GE courses used to satisfy the engineering
    writing and/or ethics requirements must be taken for a letter grade.

    More information can be found on the UCLA General Catalog