- B.S.E., magna cum laude, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (topical program in Bioengineering), Princeton University, 1982
- M.D., Computer-Aided Medical Diagnosis, Yale University, 1987
- Resident in General Surgery, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver General Hospital, 1988
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Bioelectric Research Center, Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons, 1989.
- Research Fellow, Quantitative EEG Laboratory, Neuropsychiatric Institute, UCLA, 1991.
- Resident in Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital and West LA Veterans Administration Medical Center, 1994.
- NIMH Fellowship in the Psychobiology of Major Psychiatric and Psychosomatic Disorders, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, 1996.
Awards and Recognitions
- Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association, 2009
- Joanne and George Miller & Family Endowed Term Chair in Depression Research (inaugural awardee), 2008-2011
- President, West Coast College of Biological Psychiatry, 2007
- Junior Faculty Research Award, West Coast College of Biological Psychiatry and Forest Laboratories, 2003
- Outstanding Innovative Teaching Award, UCLA Department of Psychiatry, 2001
- Brain function in normal states and the presence of mood and cognitive disorders
- Blood brain barrier
- Effects of antidepressants on the brain
- Methods of treatment for mood disorders, especially depression
- Hunter A.M., Korb A.S., Cook I.A., Leuchter A.F. “Rostral anterior cingulate activity in major depressive disorder: state or trait marker of responsiveness to medication?” J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2013 Mar 1; 25(2):126-33.
- Leuchter A.F., Cook I.A., Jin Y., Phillips B. “The relationship between brain oscillatory activity and therapeutic effectiveness of transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of major depressive disorder.” Front Hum Neurosci. 2013;7:37.
- Cook I.A., Hunter A.M., Gilmer W.S., Iosifescu D.v., Zisook S., Burgoyne K.S., Howland R.H., Trivedi M.H., Jain R., Greenwald S., Leuchter A.F. “Quantitative electroencephalogram biomarkers for predicting likelihood and speed of achieving sustained remission in major depression: a report from the biomarkers for rapid identification of treatment effectiveness in major depression (BRITE-MD) trial.” J Clin Psychiatry. 2013 Jan;74(1):51-6.
- DeGiorgio C.M., Soss J., Cook I.A., Markovic D., Gornbein J., Murray D., Oviedo S., Gordon S., Corralle-Leyva G., Kealey C.P., Heck C.N. “Randomized controlled trial of trigeminal nerve stimulation for drug-resistant epilepsy.” Neurology. 2013 Feb 26;80(9):786-91.
- Bursch B., Fried J.M., Wimmers P.F., Cook I.A., Baillie S., Zackson H., Stuber M.L. “Relationship between medical student perceptions of mistreatment and mistreatment sensitivity.” Med Teach. 2013;35(3):e998-1002.
- Leuchter A., Cook I.A., Hunter A.M. “Comment on ‘The use of the EEG in measuring therapeutic drug action: focus on depression and antidepressants’.” J Psychopharmacol. 2012 Aug;26(8):1162-3.
- Carpenter L.L., Janicak P.G., Aaronson S.T., Boyadjis T., Brock D.G., Cook I.A., Dunner D.L., Lanocha K., Solvason H.B., Demitrack M.A. “Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) for major depression: a multisite, naturalistic, observational study of acute treatment outcomes in clinical practice.” Depress Anxiety. 2012 Jul;29(7):587-96.
- Hunter A.M., Cook I.A., Leuchter A.F. “Does prior antidepressant treatment of major depression impact brain function during current treatment?” Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012 Oct;22(10):711-20.
- Leuchter A.F., Cook I.A., Hunter A.M., Cai C., Horvath S. “Resting-state quantitative electroencephalography reveals increased neurophysiologic connectivity in depression.” PLoS One. 2012;7(2):e32508.
- Brody A.L., Cook I.A. “Manipulation of cigarette craving with transcranial magnetic stimulation.” Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Oct 15;70(8):702-3.