Awards and Honors
- Appreciation of Service, U.S., Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, NIH, National Institute of Dental Craniofacial Research, 2005, 2000
- Theodore M. Hesburgh Certificate of Excellence for Faculty Development to Enhance Undergraduate Teaching and Learning, UCLA Freshman Cluster Program, Faculty member in Biotechnology and Society, TIAA-CREF, 2004
- Distinguished Scientist Award in Prosthodontics and Implantology, International Association for Dental Research, 2004
- Fellow of Biotechnology: Policy Issues and Regulatory Frameworks, Salzburg Seminar, Austria, 2000
- Distinguished Service Award, American Assoication for Dental Reserach, 1999
- Distinguished Service Award, American Association for Dental Research, 1999
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 1998
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, 1993
- Novice Prosthodontic Research Award, International Association for Dental Research, 1986
- Trubyte Prize, Dentsply International, 1981
“When patients lose part of
their faces, it becomes not only a problem with diseases — it becomes a
personal-psychological problem. When you lose your face, you lose your soul, in
a way. At the Weintraub Center, we are proceeding in a totally new direction
involving regenerative medicine and tissue engineering, in which cells that are
capable of adapting to the new environment will be given much greater autonomy
in the future. For this new game of biology, we are setting new rules.”
Professor Nishimura’s areas of interest include:
- Genetic control of wound healing and tissue remodeling
- Molecular mechanism of stem cell differentiation
- Biotechnology development for NeuroEngineeing
- Ruangsri S., Lin A., Mulpuri Y., Lee K., Spigelman I., Nishimura I, “Relationship of axonal voltage-gated sodium channel 1.8 (NaV1.8) mRNA accumulation to sciatic nerve injury-induced painful neuropathy in rats,” J Biol Chem. 2011 Nov 18;286(46):39836-47. Epub 2011 Sep 30.
- Butz F., Ogawa T., Nishimura I., “Interfacial shear strength of endosseous implants,” Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011 Jul-Aug;26(4):746-51.
- Tamplen M., Trapp K., Nishimura I., Armin B., Steinberg M., Beumer J., Abemayor E., Nabili V., “Standardized analysis of mandibular osteoradionecrosis in a rat model,” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Sep;145(3):404-10.
- Suwanwela J., Lee J., Lin A., Ucer T.C. Devlin H., Sinsheimer J., Garrett N.R., Nishimura I., “A genetic association study of single nucleotide polymorphisms in FGFR1OP2/wit3.0 and long-term atrophy of edentulous mandible,” PLoS One. 2011 Jan 19;6(1):e16204.
- Mengatto C.M., Mussano F., Honda Y., Colwell C.S., Nishimura I., “Circadian rhythm and cartilage extracellular matrix genes in osseointegration: a genome-wide screening of implant failure by vitamin D deficiency,” PLoS One. 2011 Jan 11;6(1):e15848.
- Cohen M., Nishimura I., Tamplen M., Hokugo A., Beumer J., Steinberg M.L., Suh J.D., Abeymayor E., Nabili V., “Animal model of radiogenic bone damage to study mandibular osteoradionecrosis,” Am J Otolaryngol. 2011 Jul-Aug;32(4):291-300. Epub 2010 Aug 17.
- Mussano F., Lee K.J., Zuk P., Tran L., Cacalano N.A., Jewett A., Carossa S., Nishimura I., “Differential effect of ionizing radiation exposure on multipotent and differentiation-restricted bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells,” J Cell Biochem. 2010 Oct 1;111(2):322-32.
- Lin A., Hokugo A., Nishimura I., “Wound closure and wound management: A new therapeutic molecular target,” Cell Adh Migr. 2010 Jul-Sep;4(3):396-9. Epub 2010 Jul 31.
- Hokugo A., Christensen R., Chung E.M., Sung E.C., Felsenfeld A.L., Sayre J.W., Garrett N., Adams J.S., Nishimura I., “Increased prevalence of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw with vitamin D deficiency in rats,” J Bone Miner Res. 2010 Jun;25(6):1337-49.
- Yuki I., Uchiyama N., Murayama Y., Nien Y.L., Lee D., Ebara M., Ishii A., Chiang A., Vinters H.V., Nishimura I., Wu B.M., Vinuela F., “Intravascular tissue reactions induced by various types of bioabsorbable polymeric materials: correlation between the degradation profiles and corresponding tissue reactions,” Neuroradiology. 2010 Nov;52(11):1017-24. Epub 2010 Feb 10.