Travel Guidelines Reimbursement Policies

Reimbursements for research / work related travel includes transportation to and from research / work functions(s), meals, hotels and registration fees. Traveler is responsible for all other personal / extracurricular activities during travel period.

Please review the Travel Guidelines and Reimbursement Policies below prior to making your travel arrangements to ensure that expenses are reimbursable under university policies.

Payment of expenses on behalf of others

Please do not pay for anyone’s travel expenses other than your own (applies especially towards meal expenses and airfare).  You will not be reimbursed for expenses paid on behalf of other persons except in the case of co-travelers who are sharing a room.  Please use your own credit card for payment of your travel expenses.  Do not use your spouse or parent’s credit card to pay for travel expenses.

Reimbursement for Internet Package Deals

Many internet booking agencies, such as Expedia and Orbitz, offer discounts on package deals that include a combination of travel expenses purchased together (such as airfare and lodging).  While they often provide a cost savings, these packages deals rarely include the documentation requirements necessary for University reimbursement.

If a breakdown of all expenses and applicable taxes (such as airfare, airfare tax, room rate per night and room tax per night) cannot be provided by the vendor, UCLA cannot reimburse this expense.  The IRS requires that receipts provide a certain amount of detail, and if that detail is not provided by the vendor, IRS requirements have not been met.

Travel Security and Health Coverage Benefits

All University travelers, including employees, medical residents, students, and fellows, are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day, for a wide variety of accidents and incidents while on official travel status.  The coverage includes accidental death, accidental dismemberment, paralysis, and permanent total disability.  Accurate information on travel plans is needed in order to deliver the services and protections the travel insurance policy offers.  As such, all employees on University business and students participating in UC-sponsored programs traveling out of state or overseas are required to register their travel plans prior to departure.  All arrangements booked through UCLA Travel Center will automatically be routed to iJet for international travel alerts and on to ACE for registration.  If you do not go through UCLA travel center, you must register your trip at:

Registration is not required for travel within California as coverage is automatic.








If you have questions regarding travel policies, reimbursements or
need to make travel arrangements, please contact Jennifer Gip at
310-267-4985 or .