Undergraduate FAQs

Q: I’m interested in applying to the Bioengineering Undergraduate Program.  Where can I find information on how to apply?

Admissions to the undergraduate program in Bioengineering is handle by the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs. For questions about HSSEAS admissions policies contact . Please note in your email whether you would be applying as a freshman or a transfer.

Office of Student and Academic Affairs
6426 Boelter Hall

Q: I’m interested in applying for admissions to the Graduate Program.  Where can I find information on how to apply?

Information on the Graduate Program in Bioengineering and how to apply can be found at: /academics/admissions/graduate-program

Q:  Where is the main office for the Department of Bioengineering located?

The Department of Bioengineering is located in 5121 Engineering V. 

Address:  5121 Engineering V
                University of California
                Los Angeles, CA 90095-1600

Q:  I’m interested in a postdoctoral position in the Department of Bioengineering.  How do I find available positions in the Department?

If you are interested in a postdoc position in one of the Bioengineering faculty’s labs, please contact the faculty directly to inquire about open positions in their labs.  For a list of faculty, see the Faculty Page.

For more information about Postdoctoral Scholar appointments at UCLA, CLICK HERE

Q: A new BE curriculum has been approved. Do I follow the program requirements for the year I entered or can I switch to the new curriculum?

If you started in the quarter that the new curriculum is approved, you will follow the requirements for the academic year that you entered the program.

If you started BE prior to the approval of the new curriculum, you have the option to follow the new  requirements, by filing a petition at 6426BH.

Q:  Where can I find a list of General Education requirements?

The GE List can be found on the Office of Academic and Student Affairs webpage under GE Requirements.

Q:  BE students are required a Technical Breadth area.  Where I can find a list of approved TBA areas and courses?

A summary of areas can be found at:  Undergraduate Technical Breadth Areas

Q:  What am I supposed to take in place of the Bioengineering courses that have been cancelled?

The Bioengineering department has a list of approved courses that you can use to substitute for the classes that are no longer required or offered.

You can choose courses from the BE Tracks or the BE Electives List. 

Electives include Bioengr C101, CM102, CM103, C104, C105, C131, CM140, CM145, C147, CM150, CM150L, C170, C171, CM178, 180L, C183, C185, CM186B, CM186C, 199 (8 units maximum). 

Q:  BE 180L is no longer required, but the course is still being offered.  Can I still take it for credit?

Yes, you can still take BE 180L to fulfill a requirement.  Due to limited class size, it is no longer a requirement, but students who are able to enroll in it will be able to use towards their graduation requirements.

Q:  Can I take Engineering 183EW or 185EW in place of BE 165EW?

Yes, you can substitute either Engr 183EW or 185EW in place of BE 165EW.  No petition is necessary.

Q:  Bioengineering has recently announced that it has created two tracks.  What are they and am I required to choose one?

The two new tracks are (1) Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine and (2) Biomedical Devices.  You can see the requirements for the two tracks HERE.  It is not a requirement to select a track.

Q:  When am I supposed to take BE 167L?

The class of 2010 should take it in Sp09 as juniors.  The class of 2011 should take it in F09 as juniors, and the class of 2012 should take it in Sp10 as sophomores.

Q:  How do I change my major to Bioengineering?

Change of major is handled by the OASA office in 6426 Boelter Hall.  Change of major workshops are scheduled throughout the quarter.  Days and times are posted on the sign-up sheet in 6426 Boelter Hall.  If you have any questions, please contact .

Bioengineering major, only students with a minimum 3.5 cumulative grade point average are being considered and this does NOT guarantee approval of the change into that major.

Bioengineering has an especially competitive pool of applicants and a cap on the number of students that the Bioengineering major can accommodate. 

Q:  I’m interested in working in a research lab.  How do I go about finding a undergraduate research position and when should I start looking for a lab?

Students who are interested in doing research in one of the Bioengineering Faculty’s lab should contact the Professors directly to inquire about open positions in the lab.  List of BE Faculty can be found HERE.

Faculty prefer students to have taken some laboratory techniques course before seeking a research position, however, it is advisable to start looking for a research lab as soon as the summer after your Freshmen year.  Students can enroll in a BE 199 research course and can use 8 units to apply towards their degree requirements.

Q:  What are the career paths for bioengineering students?

Students who graduate from our bioengineering program have continue their education in the following areas:  graduate school, medical, law, pharmacy, veterinary, and MBA programs.  Some  find positions in Industry at Amgen, Abbott Vascular, Schlumberger, City of Hope, consulting firms, etc.  

If you cannot find answers to your questions here, please contact Erkki Corpuz at